Search This Blog

About Me

My header speaks it all...but to give you more 411's then here i go. Well, I'm a newbie on American living who finds refuge on my kitchen which makes me the "Rookie Cook". Simply because rule of life here is..."do it yourself" and not to mention my cravings of foods back home lead me to learn the art of cooking. I'm no pro on this but i think it's worth sharing, especially to those people out there who's missing a lot of home..at least I can help ease a part of that loneliness through cooking our comfort foods. Enjoy reading my blog and feel free to leave a comment.

Monday, December 7, 2009

ube siopao (steamed white bun with purple yam filling)


Living here in the Midwest is quite a challenge, especially when you haven't gotten over with your native sense of taste yet. I love to eat Filipino foods because it's what I'm used to and being in this side of city, there's not much Filipino foods offered, just one or two perhaps. So, i decided to cook it myself and that i can satisfy my craving no matter how. This is one of the many foodies I'm dying to eat...White steamed bun or shall we say "siopao". You can always pick out a variety of filling from pork asado, chicken adobo or purple yam "ube". Any of these blend well with the dough.

Ingredients:
  • 3 packs yeast
  • 1 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup warm, evaporated milk
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 7-8 cups flour

Procedure:

  • dissolve the yeast in warm water, mix in warm milk, add the sugar, salt then 2 eggs.
  • Put mixture inside warm oven til it bubbles.
  • Add the flour alternately with 1/2 cup of oil.
  • knead til smooth.
  • Place it in a lightly oiled bowl covered with damp cloth. let it proof in a warm place for about an hour or til doubled
  • When dough proofs enough, punch it down.
  • Take a spoonful or two and form it into a circle, flatten it out and put the "ube" filling (recipe follows)
  • Seal edges together and let it sit in an individual square shape wax paper .
  • Let it rest for about 30 minutes to smooth out any wrinkles, don't forget to cover with lightly greased cling wrap or cloth. This protects the dough from drying.
  • Meanwhile, place steamer over boiling water... arrange buns in the steamer, place a damp cloth ( i prefer to use damp paper towel) over it before covering with its cover. Steam for 20 minutes.

Filling:
  • 1 bag purple yam powder
  • 7 tbsp. white refined sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup fresh whole milk
  • 1 tbsp. butter/margarine
  • Add fresh whole milk and sugar to the ube powder and mix thoroughly. Then, stir continuously over low fire until texture is thick and smooth. Lastly, mix butter or margarine.

No comments:

Post a Comment