Search This Blog

About Me

My header speaks it all...but to give you more 411's then here i go. Well, I'm a newbie on American living who finds refuge on my kitchen which makes me the "Rookie Cook". Simply because rule of life here is..."do it yourself" and not to mention my cravings of foods back home lead me to learn the art of cooking. I'm no pro on this but i think it's worth sharing, especially to those people out there who's missing a lot of home..at least I can help ease a part of that loneliness through cooking our comfort foods. Enjoy reading my blog and feel free to leave a comment.

Friday, December 18, 2009

Pan de sal

I got the basic recipe from a HS friend (thanks to her) and tweaked it out a bit. Through a couple of trial and error in baking yeast breads and research once in awhile (may it be on the net or in cookbooks) I've come to discover better dough combination. This is one recipe that I'd like to share because this brings a lot of memories of home...Hubby was my photographer, thanks to his artistic presentation =D ( he included a brown bag on purpose just the way it is bought in pinoy bakeries)

Pan de sal secret recipe (now it's not =D)

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 3 cups cake flour
  • 2 tsp. yeast
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 4 tablespoon powdered milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups warm water
Directions:
  • In a mixing bowl ( non metal preferably), dissolve yeast in warm water, add sugar and salt.
  • Let it rest until it gets foamy (about15 minutes)
  • Mix in powdered milk and vegetable oil
  • Slowly add in flour, stirring in between additions.
  • When thoroughly mixed up, roll dough into a lightly floured surface.
  • Knead until smooth, form into a ball and put it in a bowl
  • Cover with cling wrap and let it rise until doubled in a slightly warm area ( about 1-2 hours)
  • When doubled in size, punch to deflate the air and knead again for couple of minutes
  • Roll out into a log
  • In cookie pan lay out a wax paper and sprinkle cornmeal
  • Cut the "log rolled" dough into pieces depending on what size you want it to be (I usually cut it into 10-12 pieces) Note: cut it one at a time, place dough immediately into pan as soon as you cut it...this would prevent it from sticking into each other if you cut it all at the same time before transferring into pan
  • When all is laid into the pan, sprinkle a little cornmeal on top...cover with a baking towel or slightly greased cling wrap and let it rise again for probably 15-30 minutes ( just take note if it has risen)
  • Meanwhile,while waiting for the dough to rise preheat oven 375 F
  • When all set and ready, bake dough for 20 minutes (be sure to check the process 5-10 minutes before time for any oven may work differently, just to make sure you don't get a burnt pan de sal)
  • When done, let it cool a bit on a wire rack and serve...
  • Note: you can store this for 1-2 weeks the most in a refrigerator and it'll taste as good as freshly baked pan de sal, just heat it up in a microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute...Enjoy eating with my secret recipe =) from my kitchen to yours...

No comments:

Post a Comment